Wednesday, March 12, 2008

MSG Loves Seventh Generation!

"In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations."
-From the Great Law Of The Iroquois Confederacy

Wow. That's some pretty heavy stuff when you're perusing all-purpose cleaners at the supermarket. But you know what? It's the little things that count for me, and if a company is gutsy enough to use this law as the basis for itself, sign me up for a lifetime supply!

I've been using Seventh Generation's Natural All Purpose Cleaner for the past few months, and it's one of the BEST small changes I've made in the process to becoming more responsible.

I say responsible, because the whole idea of using products that actually contain natural materials (and not a newfound chemical created in a lab) should be the obvious choice to anyone looking to clean. How did it get to the point in our society that basic compounds are labeled as trivial and useless, while new "cleaning cocktails" are considered trustworthy and useful?

Trust is important especially if you have children or pets, because you never know who can get where no matter how much proofing is done. How much do I trust Seventh Generation? This is what's found under the warning section:
"Keep out of reach of children. In case of eye contact, flush with water for at least 15 minutes. If swallowed, drink a glassful of water."
There it is. Cut and dry.

A glassful of water? What? Nothing like "CALL POISON CONTROL IMMEDIATELY" or "SEEK PROMPT MEDICAL ATTENTION"? That seems like it's too good to be true...but it's not.

However, I would like to mention that a cut and dry explanation can also be harmful. Bleach and ammonia are very poisonous, and I do not endorse any kind of assumption that either is acceptable to use under every cleaning circumstance. But if those are the only two products you know the most about under your sink, should you really have to worry about 6 or 7 other products that contain unknown substances? Shouldn't using green products with natural substances make you feel better about your parent or pet owner responsibilities?

To answer my own question above, I completely trust Seventh Generation over name brand cleaners. I know it has made me feel safer about what I'm putting on my counter and down the drain. The extra few cents we pay for a green product in our home is worth lives we care about, not just for the sake of being a "trendy green".

1 comment:

Missy said...

If you need more convincing, their website has some decent printable coupons.

Check out
http://www.seventhgeneration.com/coupons

You will have to sign up to their "Seventh Generation Nation" to get the coupons. If you've never printed coupons online, you'll need to download the coupon printer.